Thursday, October 1, 2009

Awake.




It was another ordinary night. Stumble into the apartment. Lock the doors. Empty your pockets. Pass out on the bed. I woke up to the stale taste of dead air and what looked like sunrise pouring into the windows.
Odd. I never wake up this early. I'm not even tired.
After a quick shower I walk into the kitchen to make a bowl of cereal but the milk's gone bad. Whatever I'll grab a coffee on my way to work. The whole building is eerily silent. This doesn't feel right. I wait 5 minutes for the elevator before I say fuck it and walk over to the stairwell. It's chained shut. What's going on? The elevator dings and the doors open. Ok finally. The downstairs lobby looks dirty, dusty, the lights are flickering. My instincts tell me to turn right back around but my curiosity gets the better of me.
The place is a wreck. Is that blood? I need to get out of here.
The front doors are chained shut as well but the glass in the frames are broken.
The sky is a greenish brown and the regularly busy streets are completely empty.
How long have I been asleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment